These AP 8th Class Biology Important Questions 5th Lesson Attaining the Age of Adolescence will help students prepare well for the exams.
AP State Syllabus 8th Class Biology 5th Lesson Important Questions and Answers Attaining the Age of Adolescence
8th Class Biology 5th Lesson Attaining the Age of Adolescence 1 Mark Important Questions and Answers
What is adolescence period ?
The age between 13-19 years is called adolescence.
In which period growth takes place?
Growth takes place in adolescence period.
When does growth in height stop?
Growth stops in boys at the age of 18, in girls at the age of 17.
Who do grow faster?
Girls grow faster than the boys.
What is Adam’s apple?
A partial growth of larynx.
Why is the Adam’s apple formed?
The Adam’s apple is formed due to elongation of the thyroid cartilage, which protrudes out in front of the neck.
Name the secondary sexual characters in boys.
Facial hair, moustaches and beard.
What are primary sexual characters?
The sex organs by which children are identified as boys and girls at birth represent primary sexual characters.
What is reproduction?
Reproduction is the most important process for continuation of human race.
What is the age for the production of gametes?
Mostly in between 11-15 years.
What is menarche?
The first menstrual cycle begins at adolescence and is termed as menarche.
What is menopause?
At 45 – 50 years of age, the menstrual cycle stops. This is termed as menopause.
When does menstruation occur?
Menstruation occurs once in about 28 – 30 days.
What is child marriage?
Child marriage is a social evil which causes unwanted damage to the lives of children.
What is the legal age for marriage?
The legal age for marriage is 18 years for girls and 21 years for boys.
What is the first and foremost duty of every adult?
The first and foremost duty of every adult is to prepare oneself to reveal to the adolescent the secretes of nature and the natural course of life as it is Adolescent queries must never go unwanted.
What is the function of endocrine glands?
They help in the regulation of the functioning of the human body.
What do endocrine glands release?
They release some chemicals (called hormones) directly into the blood.
What is the other name for endocrine glands?
Ductless glands as they do not have ducts.
What is the name of the male hormone?
The male hormone is ‘Testosterone’.
What is the hormone begin to produce in girls?
In girls, the female hormone ‘estrogen’ begins to produce in adolescence.
What is the name of the milk secreting glands?
Which hormone controls emotions?
Adrenalin hormone secreted by Adrenal gland.
Why do the hunger levels are high in adolescents?
At this stage there is rapid growth and development.
How do young boys and girls keep the body fit and healthy?
All young boys and girls should take a walk, exercise and play outdoor games.
Why are endocrine glands called ductless glands? Name them.
Since they do not have specialized ducts, endocrine glands are called ductless glands. Ex : Pituitary gland, Thyroid gland, Adrenal gland etc.
Why do adolescents generally prefer to eat chips, snacks etc?
The growth rate in adolescents is in high rate. Because of this reason they feel hungry and they prefer to eat chips, snacks etc.
Why is it not good to eat junk foods?
Eating junk foods regularly may cause problems like obesity, mouth and stomach ulcerations, increase in blood sugar levels and blood pressure etc. So adolescents must say no to junk foods.
What are the factors involved in, to reach proper height?
It is influenced primarily by heredity and also environmental factors such as proper nurishment and regular exercise.
Nowadays reaching age of adolescence in girls become reduced – support your answer.
Nowadays reaching age of adolescence in girls become reduced . Some observations explain that it is because of polluted food materials such as estrogen present milk. This fact may also effect the boys and delay the reach of reproductive phase.
What is a balanced diet?
The diet which includes proteins,carbohydrates, fats and vitamins in require proportions is called a balanced diet.
8th Class Biology 5th Lesson Attaining the Age of Adolescence 2 Marks Important Questions and Answers
What is menstrual cycle? When does it begin? What happens during this period?
- The cycle of changes takes place in the female reproductive system is called menstrual cycle. It occurs once in 28 to 30 days.
- It is termed as “menarche”.
- The first menstrual cycle begins at around 10-12 years of age and lasts till the age of 45 – 50 years.
Why is child marriage a social sin? Give reason.
- As per child marriage restriant act 1978, the maximum age for marriage is 21 years for females and 23 years for males.
- A female whose age is less than 21 years is not physically or mentally developed.
- Because of anatomical immaturity, she is not in a condition to either to lead a married life or to have children.
- Marriage at lower age for girls becomes a greater risk both for the girl and the child.
- Hence child marriage is a social sin, it should be avoided.
What are endocrine glands? What do they release?
- The glands which help in the regulation of the functioning of the human body are called endocrine glands.
- They release some chemicals directly into the blood which are called hormones.
What are the functions of Endocrine hormones?
Functions of Endocrine Hormones:
- They control the sugar levels, salt and sodium levels in the blood.
- They control water levels of the body.
- They play an important role in development of the reproductive system.
- The hormones control the physical changes during adolescence, puberty, pregnancy, menopause etc.
How is physical exercise good for young boys and girls?
- Walking and playing in fresh air keeps the body fit and healthy.
- All young boys and girls should take a walk, exercise and play out door games.
- The physical activity leads to conditions of better health, sound sleep and there by mental peace.
- It promotes happiness in day to day life.
What is growth? How does it take place?
- Growth is one of the characters in human beings.
- They grow in size over a period of time till the size and shape of the adult is achieved.
- Growth occurs by addition of new materials to the cells in the body.
- Thus we grow to certain height for certain time only.
- These changes takes place in adolescence at maximum pace.
Why are children in adolescence in confusion state?
Children in adolescence are in confusion because they grow from childhood to adolescence. They have lot of stress due to changes in the body and are unable to decide whether they belong to adulthood or childhood.
In what way the kind of discrimination is harmful for girls and women during the period of menstural cycle?
- Some sections of people in our society believe that during the period of menstruation women are untouchable.
- During this time girls may be restricted from taking bath, cooking food or going to school.
- By separation of the girls in that particular period, it would be known to all, and the girl may feel shy, unable to move freely with others.
- She becomes dull in studies.
What should be done at the time of pimples and acne?
- Do not scratch the pimples.
- Wash your face regularly with a mild soap.
- Use luke warm water to wash pimples and acne.
- Never get worried of pimples and acne because stress and strain may help them to increase.
Write how child marriages cause damage to her health. (OR)
Child marriage is a social evil. What problems would occur due to early marriage?
- Teenage mothers are not prepared mentally for motherhood.
- Early marriage and motherhood cause health problems in the mother and child.
- It also curtails employment opportunities for the young woman and may cause mental agony as she is not ready for responsibilities of motherhood.
8th Class Biology 5th Lesson Attaining the Age of Adolescence 4 Marks Important Questions and Answers
How do you understand that you have reached the age of adolescence?
- Moustaches growing on upper lip.
- Change in voice.
- External hair grows under armpits.
- Taking care of face by applying powder and combining hair frequently.
- Feeling shy when talking with opposite sex.
- Interested to play with opposite sex.
- Showing restlessness while parents suggest to do something.
Is it apt to believe in the myth of keeping away women untouchable during the period of menstrual cycle?
- In olden days it was believed that the women during their menstrual period were kept aside and were also forced to stay in huts built in out skirts of the village.
- In those days the women are the home makers and are not job holders.
- They have leisure to follow all the restrictions.
- And also there is scientific reason that during menstrual cycle, a woman need rest completely.
- They believed that it can be strictly followed by exposing it is a myth.
- So it was followed as restriction.
To make future in a right way an adolescent need to know more about adolescence. Do you agree?
- Attraction towards opposite sex is a normal response.
- Full of zealous acts and urge to find reasons of several things around.
- Emotional state at all the time and get new thoughts for the life activities.
- Behave in a different as compared to what they did during childhood with peers and elders.
- More independent in nature and very self conscious.
- Feel insecure while trying to adjust to the changes in the body and the mind.
- They need a lot of attention, love and care as well as answer to all their queries regarding their body and self development.
Consuming Gutkha, Cigarettes, Cigar, Beedi, Khaini has become a social evil – Is it true ?
Yes. It is true.
- A number of addicted people at the age of 15 or below is 57.57 lakhs (68%) in Andhra Pradesh.
- When they reach 30 years of age their internal organ system becomes damaged, and this leads to severe problems.
- Sometimes, may cause death also.
- It is dangerous alarm in our country.
- So adolescents should be aware of healthy habits.
Draw and write short notes on Adam’s apple.
- The Adam’s apple is actually a partial growth of our voice box or larynx.
- The larynx is made up of nine cartilages, one of which is the largest, called thyroid cartilage.
- Due to the elongation of the thyroid cartilage the Adam’s apple is formed. It protrudes out in front of the
- This is caused mainly by male hormone testosterone during adolescence.
- As a result muscles or chords attached to the cartilage get loosened and thickened.
- When air passes through these chords a hoarse sound is produced.
- This is the reason for distrubance in voice in the stage of adolescence. At the end of this stage voice get perfect.
Draw and label the diagram of position of some endocrine glands in the human body.
Adoloscence is the energetic state. What health and good habits you want to develop?
What hygienic steps you would follow as an adolescent to keep yourself clean and healthy?
Adolescence is the energetic stage. It is the age when growth and development takes place at faster rate. They need good nutrition support. That is why they have to plant to take balanced diet with fruits, milk, egg and iron rich foods. They must say no to junk foods. Cleanliness is more important in this stage to avoid several bacterial, fungal infections. So it would better to take bath twice in a day. Air body parts and inner wears should be washed with fat rich soaps. No to creams, liquids etc. Girls should take special care of cleanliness during the time of menstrual cycle. Making use of disposable napkins may reduce chance of infections. All young ones should take a walk, exercise and play outdoor games. The physical activity leads to conditions of better health. Better to sleep early and awake early in the morning is a good sleeping habit. Think positive is good keep confidence and free from stress. Better to consult your parent, teacher or a doctor to clear the doubts and mental stress. And say no to drugs, alcohol and other stress relievers. Peers don’t have much knowledge in these problems, so better to take advices from parents and teachers. Practicing of different life skills makes an adolescent free from all hazards and become a good citizen.
8th Class Biology 5th Lesson Attaining the Age of Adolescence Important Questions and Answers
1) What is the name of the following picture?
2) In which stage this is developed?
3) In whom, this organ will develop more? What will happen?
4) Which cartilage elongation this will form?
1) Adam’s apple.
2) Adam’s apple develops during adolescence in boys.
3) Because of this, the voice in boys become coarse.
4) It is formed due to the growth of thyroid cartilage.
Observe the following table and answer the following questions.
|Testes||Testosterone||Release of sperm, secondary sexual characters in male|
|Ovaries||Estrogen||Release of ovum, menstruation, secondary sexual characters in female|
|Pituitary||Pituitary hormones like growth hormone, follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) Leutinizing hormone (LH)||Brings about general growth, stimulates other endocrine glands. FSH directs estrogen for formation of ovum or eggs in uterus of females, while in males directs testosterone to stimulate sperm sacs to produce sperms. LH causes the egg to burst out and flow into the fallopian tubes|
1) Which hormone released at the time of anger?
2) Which gland release the testosterone hormone?
3) Which hormone controls the other endocrine glands?
4) Which hormones causes the secondary sexual characters in males and females?
3) Growth hormone
4) Testosterone, Estrogen
To know more details about given picture what questions do you ask your biology teacher?
- Name the structure shown in the above figure.
- How does this structure grow?
- In whom can you observe this structure?
- What changes do you observe in boys after the development of Adam’s apple?
Correct the statements and if necessary rewrite.
a) To observe nucleus and cell organelles clearly staining is not necessary.
b) Cell wall controls cell functions.
a) To observe nucleus and other cell organelles, staining is very essential.
b) Cell wall provides mechanical strength to the cell. It protects the plant cell from external shocks.
Based on the information given in the table, answer the following questions.
|Testes||Testosterone||Release of sperm
Secondary sexual characters in male
|Ovaries||Estrogen Progesterone||Release of ovum, menstruation|
|Pituitary||Growth hormone||Effects on growth|
a) Where did the sperms produced? Which hormone is responsible for it?
b) Which hormone controls emotions?
c) What are the functions of the hormones produced by ovaries?
d) Why should we call some glands as endocrine glands?
a) Sperm is produced by Testes. Testosterone is responsible for the production of sperm.
c) Release of ovum, menstruation, and secondary sexual characters in female.
d) Endocrine glands do not have ducts to release their secretions. They directly release hormones into blood. Hence they are called ‘endocrine glands’.
Mallika was 15 years old. Her parents decided to get her married. Is this correct?
- The decision taken by the parents of Mallika is wrong.
- In our country the legal age for marriage is 18 years for girls and 21 years for boys.
- Teenage mothers are not prepared mentally or physically for motherhood.
- Early marriage and motherhood cause health problems for the mother and the child.
- It also curtails employment opportunities for the young woman and may cause mental agony as she is not ready for responsibilities of motherhood.
Read the following passage and answer the questions.
In females, the reproductive phase of life begins usually around 10-12 years of age and generally lasts till the age of approximately 45-50 years. On the onset of adolescence, the ova begins to mature. One ovum matures and is released by one of the ovaries once in about 28 to 30 days. During this period the wall of the uterus becomes thick so as to receive a fertilized egg and this results in pregnancy. If fertilization does not occur, the released egg and thickened lining of the uterus along with its blood vessels are shed off. This causes bleeding in women which is called ‘Menstruation ’.
i) In humans, what is the age at which menstrual cycle is generally observed ?
ii) What happens during menstruation
i) 10 or 12 years to 45 – 50 years.
ii) During this period, the wall of the uterus becomes thick so as to receive a fertilized egg and this results in pregnancy. If fertilization does not occur, the released egg and thickened lining of the uterus along with it’s blood vessels are shed off. This causes bleeding in women which is called “Menstruation”.
Match the following.
Group -1 Group – II
A) Adrenalin 1) General growth
B) FSH 2) Secondary sexual characters
C) Estrogen 3) Sends egg into fallopian tube
D) Growth Hormone 4) Directs testosterone to produce sperms
5) Controls emotion
A – 5
B – 4
C – 2
D – 1