SCERT AP Board 9th Class Social Solutions 23rd Lesson Disaster Management Textbook Questions and Answers.
AP State Syllabus 9th Class Social Studies Solutions 23rd Disaster Management
9th Class Social Studies 23rd Lesson Disaster Management Textbook Questions and Answers
Improve Your Learning
Explain how a natural harzard becomes a disaster.
- A natural hazard is a natural event of unusual magnitude that people don’t expect and cannot control.
- Natural hazards threaten people’s lives and their activities and can forever change their ways of living.
- A natural hazard event can become a natural disaster when causes the destruction of people’s property or their injury and/or death.
What is Terrorism? What are the motives of terrorists?
A common definition of terrorism is the systematic use or threatened use of violence to intimidate a population or government and thereby effect political, religious or ideological change.
Motives of terrorism :
- Terrorism is a type of violence used tactically in peace, conflict and war.
- The motivation of terrorists are quiet various depending on what they hope to accomplish.
- The majority of the motives can be broken down into three broad areas: rational, psychological and cultural.
- Although some motives are difficult for the majority of the world to comprehend given a motive, a terrorist group has a purpose for violence.
What safety measures should be followed to avoid fire accidents?
Safety measures to be followed to avoid fire accidents:
- Prevention of fire is necessary for avoiding accidents.
- Never leave the kitchen during cooking, no matter what the circumstance.
- All the inflammable things or liquids should not be kept near the fire.
- Electrical appliances should have incorporated in an automatic cut off feature for some time. Timers can be used for these.
- Wear suitable dresses while cooking.
- Installation of fire detectors in the house will alert automatically the fire department.
- One should not smoke in bed/throw burning buds here and there.
- One should not play crackers etc., near the house.
- One should not keep match boxes, lighter etc., at the reach of the children.
- One should not keep agarbattis carelessly.
- One should not make fire when wind is blowing.
- One should close the regulator of the gas cylinder properly etc.
What are the main causes of road accidents? How can we reduce the road accidents?
The main causes of road accidents:
- Alcohol & drunk – driving.
- Weather related
- Animals in road.
- Street racing.
- Cell phones.
- Music, CD players, Radio distractions
- Driver fatigue
- Suicide car accidents.
Steps to reduce road accidents :
- Strict enforcement of speed limits.
- Heavy penalty should be imposed on all those who cross speed limits.
- Lower age limit for 2 wheeler and heavy vehicle licence should be raised to 21.
- Driving tests for issue of driving license is to be made more stringent and fool proof.
- Helmet should be made compulsory by law.
- Existing traffic rules should be strictly enforced, etc.
Terrorist attacks cause loss of life and wealth. What are the precautions to be taken to prevent these activities?
- Devastating acts have left many concerned about the possibility of future incidents.
- Taking preparatory action can reassure us that we can exert a measure of control even in the face of such events.
- Finding out what can happen is the first step. Then develop a disaster plan.
- Create an emergency communications plan.
- Establish a meeting place.
- Assemble a disaster supplies kit.
- If disaster strikes :
a) Remain calm and be patient.
b) Follow the instructions of local emergency officials.
c) If the disaster occurs near you, check for injuries. Give first aid and get help for seriously injured people.
Thus we can protect from terrorist attacks.
Identify the causes of rail accidents.
Causes of rail accidents :
- Lack of proper maintenance.
- Human error or sabotage.
List out the reasons and risk inducing factors in your home, school or village.
Three risk inducing factors :
- In my home: Nothing.
- In my school:
a. There is a big pit in our school. I think it is dangerous.
b. We have 3 storeyed building as our school. The little children are in the third stair. I think it is also a risk factor.
- In my village : My village is in earthquake zone.
Locate the following places attacked by terrorists on the India map.
Write about an incident related disaster you know.
Some years ago we went to Marina beach in Chennai. We enjoyed a lot by playing there. We built some structures in the sand. We ate peanuts, groundnuts, mango pieces, etc. on our return we walked far away from the sea. Suddenly we heard the noises of the people in the beach. Then we saw a big wave. Many were drowned and lost their lives. We ran very fast from the place. By god’s grace we are still alive.
Read the para under the title ‘Fire Accidents’ on page 281 and comment on it.
Fire Accidents :
The 2004 fire in a school in Kumbakonam, Tamilnadu sparked ofT debates and arguments on the safety of schools in the*ountry. 93 innocent people were charred to death. The main causes of this fire were lack of awareness amongst children and teachers as to what to do in case of a fire, lack of preparedness, kitchen close to the classroom etc. However, incidents like these are not new.
Fire accidents can be due to various reasons. They include open flames such as a candle being accidentally being knocked over or through electrical faults. It is important to know the fire safety rules because fire accidents can result in disastrous personal injury and distressing damage. Fire safety plans are to be planned.
Collect information from newspapers and magazines about the human induced disaster that have taken place in the past few years in your state. Find out, what measures are being taken in your area to reduce such risks in the future.
Nowadays road accidents became a common scenario in India. The main reasons behind the road accidents are not obeying speed limits, poor roads, drinking and driving, rash driving, aggressive driving etc.
Information about road accidents in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh :
|Year||No. of accidents||No. of deaths|
On an average of last 6 years the number of accidents are 44,446 and the number of deaths are 14,882 in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
The following measures are taken to control the road accidents in Andhra Pradesh :
- Increased traffic fines in India.
- Suspending licence for drunken drivers.
- Established traffic courts.
- Started traffic awareness programmes for drivers.
List the various losses incurred due to terrorism.
- Fear in people
- Psychological problems in people
- Negative effect on tourism
- Financial or economic losses
- Unstable governments and
- Loss of human lives, etc.
9th Class Social Studies 23rd Lesson Disaster Management Activities
From the nearest fire station, find out what are the other simple Do’s and Don’ts that you can follow and awareness to reduce fire accidents.
I live in Vijayawada. We have fire station in Krishnalanka. I visited that and learnt the following. Do’s :
- Do have an adult always present when cooking is going on the kitchen. Children should not be allowed alone.
Do keep hair tied back and do not wear synthetic clothes when you are cooking.
Do make sure that the curtains on the window near the stove are tied back and will not blow on the flame or burner.
Do check to make sure that the gas burner is turned off immediately if the fire is not ignited and also switched off immediately after cooking.
Do keep matches out of the reach of children, etc.
- Don’t put any clothes near the stove.
- Don’t wear loose fitting clothes or chunnies, etc.
- Don’t store spray cans or cans carrying inflammable items near the stove.
- Don’t let small children near an open oven door.
- Don’t lean against the stove to keep warm, etc.
Identify recent terrorist acts that have taken place in India, and discuss the possible effects of these acts on children.
Terrorist attack at Amarnath on July 11, 2017 is recent attack that have taken place in India.
Many children are exposed to trauma and life-threatening solution, duringthe last few decades, thousands of children have been exposed to terrorism. The attacks significantly, affect the mental health of the children. Terrorist attacks and their aftermath have had a powerful impact on children and their families. Media and television exposure of terrorist events throughout the world has increased during the past few years. There is increasing concern about the effects of this exposure on children who witness these violent images. Recent studies have examined the effect of remote exposure of terrorist attacks and have shown a significant clinical impact on children and families.