AP State Syllabus 9th Class Social Studies Important Questions 17th Lesson Colonialism in Latin America, Asia and Africa
9th Class Social 17th Lesson Colonialism in Latin America, Asia and Africa 1 Mark Important Questions and Answers
Why had Europeans called Africa a ‘Dark Continent’? (SA-III : 2016-17)
The Europeans did not know much about Africa until the 19th century.
9th Class Social 17th Lesson Colonialism in Latin America, Asia and Africa Important Questions and Answers
How is the word ‘discovery’ and ‘exploration’ used by Europeans? What did it mean to people who were already living in those geographical locations?
- The word “discovery” means “finding something that we did not know about it before”.
- But in European concept “discovery” is to find faster and easier routes to countries like India, China, etc. without passing through regions controlled by Italian traders.
- The step next to discovery is exploration.
- Exploration in European context means “Sending expedition to countries and finding out what resources were available.”
- Europeans explored the backward African and Asian countries for natural resources like, gold, silver, silk, porcelain, etc.
Views of native people :
- But the Europeans did not explore these countries but exploited them.
- Virtually the Europeans enslaved them, plundered them, forced them to trade with them, etc.
- In South America the natives were deprived of their land and were massacred and driven to interiors.
What is “Munroe Doctrine”?
- The President of USA James Munroe formulated the “Munroe Doctrine”.
- According to this no European power would be allowed to build colonies in the American continents and US would not interfere in the affairs of Europe or colonies in other continents.
Locate Mexico, Spain, Netherlands, USA, Indonesia, China, Italy, Turkey, India, West-Indies on the world map.
Locate South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria, Ghana, Libya, Algeria, Angola, Congo on the political map of Africa.
What were the affects of colonizations?
- Imperialist countries commercialised the cultivation.
- Due to that colonial countries were impoverished.
- No development took place in these countries.
- These countries could not develop industrially.